Friday, October 10, 2014

Haiku Garden: Keri Collins Lewis




Have you noticed lately? 

The autumn-inspired poems are picking up like a brisk breeze, blowing through Poetry Friday. 

In Florida, Mother Nature rarely dresses up for autumn.  She's too fond of her flip-flops and cut-offs, I suppose. Yet I always enjoy seeing and hearing about the seasonal changes that are taking place elsewhere.  It brings back wonderful memories of my childhood in New York, my college years in Connecticut, and those first few years on my own in Boston. Despite the disappointing show of color down south, the feelings that autumn evokes for me are as strong as ever.  It seems a bit ironic that this time of year, when nature is gently retiring, should be so hopeful, fresh, and optimistic in my mind, but it is.

Today I am welcoming Keri Collins Lewis to the Haiku Garden.  Judging by the poem she's brought with her, it's possible I'm not the only one who feels this way:


Photo: © XFour. All rights reserved.

                  now that it has fallen
                  the leaf’s underside
                  can see the sky


                  © 2014 Keri Collins Lewis. All rights reserved.


Isn't that beautiful? I so admire how Keri finds a poetry form that speaks to her, be it cinquains this summer or haiku this autumn, and diligently practices and improves upon her craft until her work positively glows. You can discover Keri's thoughts on poetry, books, and life at her blog, Keri Recommends.

Thank you, Keri, for bringing your glow to the Haiku Garden.


For those who missed last week's interview with J. Patrick Lewis and his tantalizing new DMC challenge, the "zeno," you can find all the details HERE.  So far I've featured zenos from Matt Forrest Esenwine, Miranda Barnes, Kristi Dee Veitenheimer, and Lori Degman, with several more in the pipeline.  I hope you'll send me yours!

The best way to read these featured daily ditties is to follow my blog via email or RSS, or to like my writer's page on Facebook. All of these methods are available in the sidebar to the right. (On Facebook, though, make sure you also go directly to my writer's page, click on the "Liked" drop down menu and check "Get Notifications.")

This week's Poetry Friday roundup is being hosted by Tricia Stohr-Hunt at The Miss Rumphius Effect. 







16 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective on a fallen leaf! I loved both the poem and that picture. Now I have to go try a Zeno...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding a new look at autumn is not easy, and Keri has given a beautiful goodness about fallen leaves. Admiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gentle wisdom in this haiku, and a refreshing change of perspective. You found an excellent photo to go with it, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a unique perspective! Very clever and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Keri's beautiful haiku! I will think differently now when I see all our fallen leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous haiku! What a great new perspective she gives us. Perfect photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect haiku for the season! Thanks, Michelle for having Keri on your blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely combination of haiku and photograph, ladies. I'm looking forward to seeing that sparkly frost in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keri's poem helps us see a fallen leaf in a new way. Haiku is so few words that they all must count. This is a nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE Keri's poem. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous haiku, Keri. And thanks for continuing to feature the poetry of others on your blog so generously, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keri's haiku is fabulous - a new perspective on the fallen leaf. In AZ the signs of autumn are subtle, too, but it is still my favorite season. Thank goodness for Poetry Friday so I can live vicariously through the poetry inspired by the season in other regions of the country. = )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect pick. Perfect poem. Good reminder to check out the view no matter what your position in life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michelle, the haiku is a glorious tribute to the glory of autumn as the leaf stands tall to give a nod to the season. Thank you for sharing the zenos also. I hope to play around with that poetic form.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the simplicity of Keri's clever haiku! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete