Tuesday, October 7, 2014

DMC: "Ice Cream in Summer" by Miranda Barnes




Ice Cream in Summer

I lick, lick, lick my ice cream cone
But somehow one
Drop still
Slips
Past my sticky
Finger-
Tips.
On my shorts it
Drip, drip
Drips.

© 2014 Miranda Barnes (7th grade), all rights reserved.


J. Patrick Lewis has challenged us to write a zeno this month. What's a zeno, you ask? Click HERE for details.

To join in the fun, send yours to TodaysLittleDitty (at) gmail (dot) com, or use the contact form in the sidebar to the right. All zenos will be included in the wrap-up celebration on October 31st, and one lucky participant will win a copy of Pat's gorgeous, new, "best of" collection:





13 comments:

  1. Wow, Miranda, that's great! I'm still trying to figure out how to write a zeno. Do I start with finding three rhyming words? (Where's my rhyming dictionary?) Or do I start with a subject and try to fit it into the form?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, I thought of doing ice cream (probably because I wanted some right then :] ). Then I thought of drip, drip, drips as the last lines and went from there.

      Delete
  2. I think a trip to Cold Stone Creamery may be in order. ;) Really nice job, honey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have known that was written by a 7th-grader!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific poem, Miranda! I like all your ick/ip sounds (but am sorry about those drips!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone! :) I actually kind of based it off a few days ago when I went to McDonald's and got a dipped cone. The guy put way too much ice cream on the cone and the chocolate part was all that was holding it together. There were lots of cracks, though, and the ice cream kept coming out like a leaky faucet. It was really good, but it took me ages to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real life informs art. Your poem is drippily delicious.

      Delete
  6. Great little poem. Thanks for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific, Miranda, rhythm & rhyme. I too like that you wrote from an experience & made it work so well.

    ReplyDelete