Wednesday, May 13, 2015

DMC: "Leaf" by Maria Marshall





LEAF

Leaf is a changing word.
So crisp and colorful in fall,
as I dash and descend
into crackling mountains.
Deep, strong green in summer,
as I dodge the blazing sun.
But best of all,
is the softness of spring,
stroking my face
as I read among suspended clouds
of pink flowers.

© 2015 Maria Marshall. All rights reserved.



Nikki Grimes has challenged us to try a wordplay exercise this month and create our own free verse poems. Click HERE for all the details.

Send your poem to TodaysLittleDitty (at) gmail (dot) com, or use the contact form in the sidebar to the right. All contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration on Friday, May 29th, and one lucky participant will win a personalized copy of Nikki's brand new picture book:






8 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Maria! I especially love those "suspended clouds/of pink flowers."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful images. I especially like "descend into crackling mountains."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you, Maria! Can I sit under that leafy tree this summer and read? Lovely poem with beautiful images. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. overly! Makes me want to float on a cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, Maria! Love the vivid word pictures you created :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, Maria! How I love those crackling mountains - such an image. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the use of assonance, consonance, and alliteration in your poem.

    ReplyDelete