Wednesday, February 19, 2020

DMC: "Winter Walking" by Rebekah Hoeft




WINTER WALKING

On winter walks
on crisp cold mornings
my favorite part
of frozen gravel paths
is finding
rumpled edges
and shallow ditches
where skims of
clouded ice
hang waiting for
my ice-searching
puddle-crunching
foot to
smash crash crinkle crackle crunch through
to the hollow space beneath.

© 2020 by Rebekah Hoeft. All rights reserved.



Image by Rene Schue from Pixabay


Buffy Silverman has challenged us to write a poem that uses combined or invented words. Click HERE for more details and to read this month's Spotlight ON interview.

Post your poem on our February 2020 padlet. All contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration on Friday, February 28th, and one lucky participant will win a personalized copy of her nonfiction poetry picture book from Millbrook Press:






10 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous, Rebekah. I love how your ice-searching and puddle-crunching leads to filling that hollow space with an explosion of words— smash crash crinkle crackle crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun, Rebekah! Wishing we had some of those puddles so I could do a bit of crunching! Kids would love going out for a winter walk with this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see-hear-feel this poem! And it makes me want to go outside and smash crash crinkle those frozen puddles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite sights/sounds/feelings, Buffy! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh your ending lines are so perfect and such deliciousness. Kids would love this and I plan to share. I enjoyed your entire poem, Rebekah. You really captured the feel of word joining in just the right spaces.
    Janet Clare F.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebekah, I love this poem. This is my favorite line -"smash crash crinkle crackle crunch through." Almost makes me wish it was cold enough to freeze the puddles here - almost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Crunchy puddles really do make the cold a happy thing!

    ReplyDelete