Thursday, February 20, 2020

DMC: "Coot-Spooky" by B.J. Lee




COOT-SPOOKY

A moss-hung bayou
has a coot-spooky feel.

It's a gator-gliding,
limpkin-screaming,
cypress-kneeling deal,

where snakes a-sliding,
raptors hiding
give it squeal appeal.

© 2020 by B.J. Lee. All rights reserved.



Kylen Louanne


Buffy Silverman has challenged us to write a poem that uses combined or invented words. Click HERE for more details and to read this month's Spotlight ON interview.

Post your poem on our February 2020 padlet. All contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration on Friday, February 28th, and one lucky participant will win a personalized copy of her nonfiction poetry picture book from Millbrook Press:






17 comments:

  1. B.J. I love this! Can feel the spookiness, plus I now know what limpkins and coots are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too, BJ. You set the scene efficiently and effectively with all those combined words, and the rhyming makes it tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we visit Florida, we always watch out for the "squeal-appeal", not used to the surprises. This is great, B.J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you, Rebekah! The coots I'm referring to are gallinules. They're actually not that spooky with their cute red noses but they do enjoy tottling around in gator territory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Michelle! Buffy's word-combining is a great tool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Linda! I know exactly what you mean. When we first moved here, I was afraid that a gator might come out of the water & chase me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving this, BJ. Feeling right like I am at the bayou and grateful I am actually nowhere near any gators. Love your word-combining. It really fits beautifully here. I just have that southern bayou feel like I want to switch to a southern accent right now!!!!!
    Janet Clare F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet! You all need to stay away from the Florida swamp! :-)

      Delete
  9. So much squeal appeal in this one, BJ! Love the specificity of plants and animals that take the reader right to your bayou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Buffy! I was really inspired by your challenge and wrote this right away.

      Delete
  10. Love love LOVE this poem! fabulous specificity and squirm factor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you David! We have a county park about five minutes away so I am frequently in this environment as my husband and I go on our swamp romps.

      Delete
  12. Love this bayou-boogie poem. Some great word combos I want to steal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Margaret, I know you can relate to this bayou poem! xo BJ

    ReplyDelete