Tuesday, February 11, 2020

DMC: "An Umbrella-Floating Day" by Breighlynn




AN UMBRELLA-FLOATING DAY

An umbrella-floating,
wind-howling,
color-observing day.

It is a sun-shining,
hawk-squawking,
umbrella-looking day.

Yesterday was a rain-falling,
person-frowning,
cloud-covering day.

Tomorrow will be a book-reading,
computer-typing,
person-silent day.

I want to be a queen-smiling,
sun-shining,
notebook-writing friend.

© 2020 by Breighlynn (4th grade) in Mrs. Simon's class. 

All rights reserved.

(Mrs. Simon wrote a poem about a rainy day as well! Read it on our February 2020 padlet.)


Buffy Silverman has challenged us to write a poem that uses combined or invented words. Click HERE for more details and to read this month's Spotlight ON interview.

Post your poem on our February 2020 padlet. All contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration on Friday, February 28th, and one lucky participant will win a personalized copy of her nonfiction poetry picture book from Millbrook Press:






7 comments:

  1. So good! Breighlynn's word choices excel at conveying different moods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, Breighlynn!

    A book-reading,
    computer-typing,
    person-silent day sounds perfect to me.

    Even more so if I had a queen-smiling,
    sun-shining,
    notebook-writing friend like you to write with. :)

    Many thanks to you and Mrs. Simon for sharing your beautiful poem with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Mrs. Simon for sharing my challenge and Breighlynn's wonderful answer to it. I love the details she's included, and the picture she paints from one day to the next, as well as her own aspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, Breighlynn! I know all of those days so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is terrific, Breighlynn. I love every word. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting Breighlynn’s poem. I saw it pop up on my Facebook while teaching her class. (I was looking for a photo prompt. ) I sent the link to the principal. She is feeling quite famous. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete