Monday, March 12, 2018

DMC: "To the Facebook Ads that Dog My Days" by Brenda Davis Harsham




TO THE FACEBOOK ADS THAT DOG MY DAYS
          ~with a line from "Black Box, by Devon Hope"

Don’t show me belly fat, underwire bras or tell me what I’m
to think. Or want. Shut down. Back off. I’m allergic
to your diet pill ads, your voyeuristic snidery, asking me to
feel incomplete. For money. My dreams aren’t found in your boxes.


© 2018 Brenda Davis Harsham. All rights reserved.

"Black Box, by Devon Hope" © 2002 Nikki Grimes, from BRONX MASQUERADE


Click HERE to read this month's interview with Nikki Grimes. She has challenged us to write a golden shovel poem using a line from one of the poems in the post.

Leave your golden shovel on our March 2018 padlet. While some contributions will be featured as daily ditties this month, all contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration on Friday, March 30th, and one lucky participant will win a copy of her new companion novel to Bronx Masquerade:




19 comments:

  1. Rock on, Brenda! Love this poem and it's pull-no-punches attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt good to get that out there. :-) May we all be liberated from ads!

      Delete
  2. Excellent, Brenda. Facebook doesn't understand at all, does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FB understands money. And the loss of customers. I'm thinking it doesn't care about privacy or a person's emotions. Does it care about truth?

      Delete
  3. What is with the belly fat ad???! Surely Facebook doesn't know I have more than my fair share?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps they just assume that every FB customer is overweight. Or maybe they believe the way women are built leads us to worry about it. But ugh. They need to stop already.

      Delete
    2. Facebook knows me well...I AM totally worried about it but also...*stuffs face with Friday night pizza and ice cream Snickers bars*

      :)

      Delete
  4. This is great! I get the ads via email too. Still trying to figure out half the ones I get!(why a woman needs male enlargement ads.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Brenda–We need a big roller donor to post your poem as an add on FB–it'd probably go viral!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Maybe I should frost my social media with it. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I love this Brenda! If you could box and sell your attitude I would buy a box for each of my daughters. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to save my daughter from their evil clutches, too. LOL Attitude, I have in plenty.

      Delete
  7. Hear, hear! Also, so creepy to get Facebook ads for products I just purchased. Big Brother needs to back off a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are super creepy. It makes me not want to shop on the internet anymore. Maybe we should boycott them. But I don't. Sigh. Maybe tomorrow.

      Delete
  8. I can completely identify with this! Facebook is only as smart as its algorithms, and sometimes they're way off: my wife works at a urology office, and was sharing some bios of the providers on her FB page. I clicked "like" on some of the posts, because we're friends with many of them...and suddenly Facebook starts flooding my newsfeed with ads about prostate health!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Matt's response and noted that my husband would say, "Big brother is watching me." Your poem is full of straightforward rebellion in a poetic way, Brenda. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete