Thursday, March 22, 2018

DMC: "Forgetfully Yours" by M. H. Barnes




FORGETFULLY YOURS
          ~with a line from "blurred lines" by Lil Fijjii

There are only so many ways I can say I'm 

sorry. I know that you're tired.

I am too. Weary of

searching for words—names,

places, and all the everyday things I once

took for granted. If only you
could read my mind! Say

what you will, I probably won't believe it.

Because unless you
can dip a net into my fishbowl world, you can't

imagine how slippery it is. Let them take
my memories, my dignity, my hope. None of it

matters as long as you come back.

© 2018 Michelle Heidenrich Barnes. All rights reserved.


Click HERE to read this month's interview with Nikki Grimes. She's challenged us to write a golden shovel poem using a line from one of the poems in that post. Other poems featured this week included work by Ann Magee, Jone Rush MacCulloch, Maria Marshall, and Sydney O'Neill. Margaret Simon's students wrote golden shovel poems (also inspired by "blurred lines") which she shares today at Reflections on the Teche, and Rebecca Herzog shares her golden shovel at sloth reads.

There's only one week left to leave your golden shovel on our March 2018 padlet. All contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration next Friday, March 30th, and one lucky participant will win a copy of Nikki Grimes's new companion novel to Bronx Masquerade:





The winner of last week's giveaway for a personalized copy of Hidden City: Poems of Urban Wildlife by Sarah Grace Tuttle, illustrated by Amy Schimler-Safford is . . .

MARY LEE HAHN
Congratulations, Mary Lee!




Laura Purdie Salas is hosting this week's Poetry Friday roundup at Writing the World for Kids. While you're there, check out her latest poem in the March Madness competition and find out more about her newly released rhyming picture book, Meet My Family: Animal Babies and Their Families (Millbrook Press, 2018).  (It was also previewed here at Today's Little Ditty last November.)

26 comments:

  1. Wow, Michelle. That is quite a poem.....fishbowl world...slippery, memories, dignity, hope. This is one that will stay with me. I would love to be able to see these young men see these Golden Shovels. Please tell me that they are going to get to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I'm not in charge, but I'm hoping the boys will get to see them. I'm going to try anyway.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Michelle! This poignant poem is bursting with raw emotion. I keeping thinking about the "fishbowl world."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That poem is heartbreaking and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww... slippery, indeed! I am a sucker for longing/loss poems... you got me! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very touching, Michelle...you've packed a lot of emotion into this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much frustration and confusion. Well done, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful loving and sorrowful voice, Michelle. It's such a shout into the world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the line you used for inspiration Michelle. Words are powerful and can destroy a soul. Your poem captures the regret and pleading and reasoning that often follows words spoken from hurt and anger. Well done- now where are my tissues?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That ending. Right in the gut. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this, Michelle! It so perfectly portrays a situation without needing any more details!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to agree with Tabatha–your poem hits you hard where it needs to, thanks Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You tapped right into the emotions, Michelle. Nice golden shovel poem!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is a powerful poem, Michelle. I especially love the net/fishbowl part. Nikki's new book is fabulous! I would love to do a golden shovel poem. Will try to find time this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this is stunning, Michelle. I'm sending a link to my sisters because it reminds me so much of my mother. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gut-wrencher right there. Words, once said, can't be taken back. Something far too many grownups need to be reminded of these days, it seems. :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. The line "fishbowl world" perfectly captures a shrinking world. Beautiful and poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love "unless you

    can dip a net into my fishbowl world, you can't

    imagine how slippery it is."

    ReplyDelete
  18. Michelle, your poem is breathtaking and so powerful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this. You have perfectly captured this struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a beautiful, heartbreaking poem. Now I need to get busy and write my own Golden Shovel poem for the challenge. March is getting away from me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. At first, I thought this was a poem about the forgetfulness that came with aging, but then it went so much deeper than that. It's hauntingly lovely, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you, everyone, for such beautiful, thoughtful comments. I appreciate them and I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm catching up on Golden Shovel poems this afternoon, and each one has been so powerful. I love "dip a net into my fishbowl world." Thanks for the month of inspiring reads, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such layers here, Michelle. I feel for the writer/character of the poem that your sad Golden Shovel is from. I hope his life works out. And I feel for the life of your character. It makes me think of institutions, lack of freedom, oppression. Days without hope - memorable metaphor in that fishbowl world. Closing with a smile, tho' - You are writing more poetry this year, it feels to me.

    ReplyDelete