Tuesday, August 9, 2016

DMC: "Old Man of the Olympics" by Rosi Hollinbeck




OLD MAN OF THE OLYMPICS
 
He walks quite slow, his bones all creak,
He has gray hair, a wrinkled cheek.

How can it be that he’ll compete?
He’s never quit, this great athlete.

But can he win? He says, “Of course,
I have the most fantastic horse.”

Perhaps now this equestrian
will, at last, have his first win.

© 2016 Rosi Hollinbeck. All rights reserved.


Diana Murray has challenged us to write a poem about an unlikely hero this month. Click HERE for more details.

Post your poem on our August 2016 padlet. All contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration on Friday, August 26th, and one lucky participant will win a personalized copy of her fun new picture book from Roaring Brook Press:





11 comments:

  1. Wonderful poem and goes good with the games going on right now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michelle! It's fun to see it posted here. According to my research, the oldest to complete in the modern Olympics was a 72-year-old equestrian -- my inspiration for the poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing, Rosi! I love that you based your poem on a real person, and hope that we hear more incredible stories about real people this month. Thanks for getting us off to a great start with such a terrific (and timely) poem!

      Delete
  3. Sweet poem! I love the idea that "old" people shouldn't be taken lightly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun poem Rosi--made me smile--and start looking for a horse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the rhyming story, and especially that last pair. I hope he wins, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this, Rosi. And I love the spirit of the Olympians! I know that a 41-year-old female gymnast from Romania (I think)is competing this year. She made the cut again--this is her 5th Olympics! And she hasn't ruled out 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love that this is about an actual 72yo Olympian! How inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful Rosi! Reminds me of Don Quixote and his love and spirit with Rocinante.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you tied it in with the Olympics! What an inspiring story. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete