Wednesday, July 30, 2014

DMC: "The Ballad of Odyssey" by Keri Collins Lewis




Sung to the tune of "Oh My Darling, Clementine"


The Ballad of Odyssey

In a cavern, in a canyon
at the bottom of the sea
lived an ancient, giant squid
and his daughter, Odyssey.
 

Through the darkness
this pair hunted
for the fish that brought them glee,
but the old squid found a new love
and abandoned Odyssey.
 

Then a sperm whale
snuck up on her
as she swam alone and free,
all those tentacles could not save her
and he ate dear Odyssey.
 

Oh my darling, oh my darling, oh my darling, Odyssey,
You are just part of the food chain,
that’s the way it’s meant to be.

© 2014 Keri Collins Lewis.  All rights reserved.

For a video of a giant squid, click HERE; for more info, click HERE


Tamera Will Wissinger has challenged us to come up with a parody or tribute poem this month.  (Click HERE for details.) There are only two more days to join in the fun! Send your poem no later than 5:00 p.m. EDT on July 31st to TodaysLittleDitty (at) gmail (dot) com or use the contact form in the sidebar to the right.


All participants will be entered to win a copy of Tamera's 

delightful new picture book, THIS OLD BAND.




6 comments:

  1. Lost her love and her life, what a tale of woe! Love that ending, too, Keri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sad, sad tale-- I'm quite sure I've never felt sorry for a giant squid before, actually. With a name like Odyssey, I'd expect her to go far! ;) Thanks for contributing such a fun (albeit merciless) parody, Keri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! What a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Odyssey! I didn't see that coming, but I should have. Clever parody, Keri!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete