Thursday, June 20, 2019

DMC: "When You Begin" by Linda Baie




WHEN YOU BEGIN (A Skinny Poem)

You will discover pals.
Ignore
seeing
mean-spirited
glares.
Ignore
hearing
put-down
scorn.
Ignore.
Pals will discover you.


© 2019 Linda Baie. All rights reserved.


Click HERE to read this month's interview with Karen Boss, Editor at Charlesbridge. Her challenge this month is to write a poem in second person, speaking directly to a kid or kids about something that you think is important for them to know.

Post your poem on our June 2019 padlet. While some contributions will be featured as daily ditties this month, all contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration on Friday, June 28th. One lucky participant will win a copy of I Am Someone Else: Poems About Pretending, collected by Lee Bennett Hopkins and illustrated by Chris Hsu, available online for preorder, and coming to a bookstore near you on July 2, 2019.





12 comments:

  1. I'm still trying to get my head around this "skinny" form, but your poem seems well-suited to it, Linda. I like how your advice is both soft and strong, presented in such a stripped-down way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, this is just perfect. I have been struggling with this form but you make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This came from being inspired by Laura Purdie Salas' recent PF post. I studied & studied her poems. Thanks for the compliments, Michelle & Liz & for posting, Michelle. That 'skinny' form isn't easy, I agree. I'm finding new inspiration for another poem here on the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful turn in this poem. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is super! I like how you turned the words around in the last line, revealing a great truth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this one, Linda--and the ending works so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, your skinny poem is filled with wisdom for students. You chose a great format for your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This form is well suited to the directive to ignore hurtful bullying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, wow, just wow. I envy your ability to say so much in so little words. This poem speaks volumes. I can tell this was heartfelt and genuine. I am still learning poetry. But you are splendor walking. As is Michelle. And Renee. I am learning from you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So hard for kids and grownups! What a great form for this idea!

    ReplyDelete