Wednesday, May 22, 2019

DMC: "Instructions to a Bird's Nest" by Margaret Simon




INSTRUCTIONS TO A BIRD'S NEST

Hold
     leaves,
         twigs,
             snake skins
woven into
the shape of a bowl
perfectly sized for
      three
          small
                eggs
laid in late spring
in the crepe myrtle tree.
Do not sway
          lean,
              loosen
in the wind.
Stay
still & quiet
waiting patiently
to watch wild birth. 


© 2019 Margaret Simon. All rights reserved.




Elizabeth Steinglass has challenged us to write a poem giving instructions to an inanimate object about how to do its job. Click HERE for more details and to read this month's Spotlight ON interview.

Post your poem on our May 2019 padlet. All contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration on Friday, May 31st, and one lucky participant will win a personalized copy of her fantastic debut poetry collection from WordSong:





12 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Margaret! And especially meaningful to me because your reference to the crepe myrtle tree makes me feel like it's in my own back yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting this poem today. I found the pictured nest under a crepe myrtle tree. I'm afraid it fell out before any eggs were laid. I brought it to the classroom for little ones to examine. I think I was more fascinated than any of them.

      Delete
  2. There is a nest in a bush near my back door. I will think of it waiting patiently now, after your poem, Margaret. You've shown its essence here in your words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After our spring of wood duck nesting woes, I wanted to imagine something more hopeful.

      Delete
  3. Love this! I have a gourd of nesting materials for the hummingbirds and am amazed at how frenetic their building activity is. This poem reminds me that there's a quiet respite before the eggs hatch. No quite sure why, but it's a comforting thought. Thank you for the additional perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to watch a hummingbird build a nest. It's amazing how talented birds are at building. A whole lot of patience is necessary when waiting for birth.

      Delete
  4. Awwww. This is really a sweet poem. I love when birds build a nest in my trees. It's the best sign of spring. Thanks for this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have been more attentive to it this spring.

      Delete
  5. This is lovely! Woven just like a nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope you are proud of how everyone has taken your prompt in different directions. My students loved it.

      Delete
  6. So lovely....snake skin surprised me. But, it shouldn't! What great material for nest building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually woven in. I found this nest next to a crepe myrtle tree and brought it to the classroom. Looking closely, you can see a clear snake skin.

      Delete