Tuesday, September 15, 2015

DMC: "One Bronx Library" by Michele Krueger



One Bronx Library

I used to sit
in one Bronx library,
on one small chair

I hardly even noticed
the other people there

I'd sit for hours dreaming,
where miracles happened
if only you dared or cared
to come and find them

I ran there
returning books,
to look for more
to take me to a world,

not the one I knew

it was long ago
but I still remember it
so sweetly

that one Bronx library,
that one small chair

with a happy child

reading there

© 2015 Michele Krueger. All rights reserved.

Lee Bennett Hopkins has challenged us to write a "ME poem" this month, based on one simple moment in your childhood that changed you in some way. Click HERE for more details.

Send your poem to TodaysLittleDitty (at) gmail (dot) com, or use the contact form in the sidebar to the right. All contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration on Friday, September 25th.

Don't miss Michele's poem "At the Library" in Lee's gorgeous new anthology, JUMPING OFF LIBRARY SHELVES. One lucky participant in this month's DMC challenge will receive an autographed copy.




9 comments:

  1. Fabulous! How can anyone not love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My library wasn't in the Bronx, but everything else in this poem is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me smile to imagine you in that one small chair, Michele. Thanks for taking us there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poem took me right back to the children's room of the library that I frequented as a child, coming home with my bicycle basket loaded with books! I've been pondering what to write for this challenge--there might be more than one library poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful poem, you brought me right there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, Michele. I could smell the books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, this is so sweet. I love it and I love libraries. Thanks for the poem.

    ReplyDelete