Wednesday, September 23, 2015

DMC: "...I write her name in my notebook." by Matt Forrest Esenwine



…I write her name in my notebook.

I’m not sure why.
What is it about her eyes,
her lips,
that makes me think
she’s smiling at me
even when she’s turned away?
I write her name in my notebook.
I’m not sure why.
What is it about violets and – is that vanilla? –
that make a girl smell so nice?
I don’t even like vanilla, but still…
I write her name in my notebook.
I’m not sure why.
Why do I crane my neck to watch
as she walks away, yet hide
my face
when she sees me
watching?
What would she say,
what would she do,
if only she knew…
 

© 2015 Matt Forrest Esenwine. All rights reserved.

Lee Bennett Hopkins has challenged us to write a "ME poem" this month, based on one simple moment in your childhood that changed you in some way. Click HERE for more details.

Send your poem to TodaysLittleDitty (at) gmail (dot) com, or use the contact form in the sidebar to the right. All contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration this Friday, September 25th, and one lucky participant will win an autographed copy of Lee's gorgeous new anthology:




14 comments:

  1. Oh, so sweet, Matt. I wonder if kids today do this or is just hiding out on Instagram enough? I love the repetition of that poignant line, "I write her name in my notebook."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem brought me back to 7th grade and writing the name of a certain boy (who I never had the courage to speak with) in my notebook every day during social studies class. I never would have imagined that a boy would have done the same! Love the refrain in your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem, Matt--and thanks for sharing, Michelle! My boys are in 7th grade, about to turn 13, and this made me think of them. I see their sweet, furtive glances at girls and always think, "Oh boy, here we go! I am not ready for this!" = )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all! I appreciate your comments, and am glad to know I wasn't the only love-struck fool to do such a thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, and I enjoy the rhythm and repetition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely not the only one, Matt! The stories I could tell. Your poem is beautiful, and far more lyrical than mine ever would be. My experience, I'm sorry to say, is probably better suited for a limerick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great poem, Matt. Love that boys were as secretive as girls back then. Thanks for giving me a glimpse...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my! That is a sweet poem. I love the repetition. Thanks for posting it here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, again, to everyone! And Michelle, I had some limerick-worthy experiences, too, so don't feel alone in that department!

    By the way, with regards to the repetition in the poem, I deliberately ended the poem with an ellipses that (hopefully) leads the reader back to the title...in other words, circling back to the beginning and continuing the vicious cycle ad infinitum - which is what it often felt like back then!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet! It's such a mysterious experience--at any age.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw! What a treat, and a peek into a heart at that tender, hopeful age. I am remembering writing one's name in my notebook...linked with mine. ;) Thank you, Matt. You really bring us there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great poem, Matt. I can relate! :)

    or is it :( ?

    -Ed

    ReplyDelete