Tuesday, September 29, 2015

DMC: "As if I could knock out the Ocean" by Ed DeCaria




As if I could knock out the Ocean

I punched wave after wave —
Punched them! As if
I could knock out
the Ocean
with one

slow

wet

swing

© 2015 Ed DeCaria. All rights reserved.

Lee Bennett Hopkins has challenged us to write a "ME poem" this month, based on one simple moment in your childhood that changed you in some way. Click HERE for more details.

Last call to join in! Send your poem to TodaysLittleDitty (at) gmail (dot) com, or use the contact form in the sidebar to the right. Visit our wrap-up celebration to read all of this month's contributions. One lucky participant will win an autographed copy of Lee's gorgeous new anthology:




8 comments:

  1. Challenging the waves is something I watched my grandson do this summer. Picture-perfect poem, Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always tried to kick it out. Never worked. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this poem. It is sooooooo good. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strong poem, and you lead us there quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much to love about this poem, Ed. I love the shape, especially– the wave with the "punched out" middle, waiting to crash at the moment I get out those last loaded words– "slow/wet/swing". So glad you jumped in this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for reading and commenting. And, Michelle, thank you for hosting Lee's poetic challenge and featuring my poem on your site. It means a lot. -Ed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ed, thanks for successfully knocking Hurricane Joaquin back into the ocean. Your poem rescued the East Coast!

    ReplyDelete