Thursday, August 13, 2015

Haiku Garden: Charles Waters


Photo: Trym Asserson

You wouldn't know it by the weather here in Florida, but the writing's on the wall– 

summer is drawing to a close. 

Soon I will be forced to let go of lazy days and loose, unstructured schedules. Until then, I'm grabbing every moment of quiet, reflective time I can get my hands on. That's what makes today's visit in the Haiku Garden all the more special.

Joining me today is a man of many talents: Charles Waters. Charles is a children's poet, poetry performer, actor, teacher, activist, friend... I've probably forgotten a few, though I'm not sure it matters once you've reached a half dozen. One of the things I find remarkable about Charles is that he actually pulls it all off. While some of us require sleep, Charles is a preeminent go-getter. He doesn't wait for opportunities, he makes them.

And let's talk about his swoon-worthy poetry, shall we? Charles' work has appeared in numerous anthologies. In 2015 alone, he has appeared in The Poetry Friday Anthology for Celebrations (Vardell/Wong) and Dear Tomato: An International Crop of Food and Agriculture Poems (Hoyte), and will also appear in J. Patrick Lewis' The National Geographic Book of Nature Poetry and Lee Bennett Hopkins' Amazing Places, both forthcoming this October.

Leading up to today's haiku, Charles shares with us a few lesser-known personal attributes– nature lover, allergy sufferer, and vegan:

I had a love/hate relationship with nature for many years. While I admired its beauty, washing my eyes over its visual splendor, I had the worst case of allergies in U.S. history. I'm exaggerating, but only a little.  Pollen/dust have always been thine enemy. 

However, some of this discomfort may have been from food, as well.  Since becoming a vegan there has been a major decrease in scratchy throat, itchy eyes, sneezing, and coughing.  This has given me an opportunity to be less apprehensive in strolling inside nature, like a poet detective, looking for clues on the unfolding of our universe.

Photo: Alan Howe Landscapes
MORNING THIRST

Straw colored swaths stretch
From tufted bed drinking in
Nature’s nourishment.


© 2015 Charles Waters. 
               All rights reserved.













For Charles, all roads lead to inspiration.

Photo: Fiona in Eden

He has appeared in several national theater touring companies including The National Theater for the Performing Arts, The National Theater for Children and Poetry Alive!, AND he's been on television– how cool is that?  He conducts his one man show POETRY TIME, as well as poetry performance workshops for elementary and middle school audiences, all over the nation.  It's been said that "Poetry comes alive when Charles takes the stage!" and I, for one, believe it. To find out more about Charles' books and workshops or to watch a sampling of "Poetry Time" videos, visit Charles' website: charleswaterspoetry.com

Thank you for stopping by the Haiku Garden, Charles,
 and for sustaining us with your nourishing words.


You'll find lots more inspiration at the Poetry Friday roundup. Please join Heidi Mordhorst at My Juicy Little Universe for this week's offerings.






27 comments:

  1. Michelle, your posting on Charles is so full of energy. His poem is fabulous and perfect compliment to the image. I think I will ask Charles if this one can be posted in Summer Splashings. Thanks for sharing his work.

    Your style of introducing your celebraties is energizing me to capture the same spirited passion when I engage in my oral chat interviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Carol, you have my permission to post my haiku in Summer Splashings. Please, also alert your readers to my website at www.charleswaterspoetry.com

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your kind words, Carol. I wasn't aware you did oral chat interviews– do you record them? Seems I'll have to have a closer look at your website and blog!

      Delete
  2. I am looking out at the cornfields here, and this poem is just as true for upstate New York. Charles is such a gifted poet, thanks for sharing his work today, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Tara. Let's all celebrate your awesomeness by reading a poem!

      Delete
  3. How awful to be plagued by allergies of nature and not be free to explore. Perhaps since conquering the allergies to some extent, the exploration is now made even more precious, overflowing with new opportunities to write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to tell you, Donna, I felt the irony of loving nature and not being able to even cut grass as a kid because of the allergy plague. And you're right, the gratefulness is even more pronounced now I can go explore nature!

      Delete
  4. I recall a wonderful meal with Charles at an NCTE in Orlando in 2010--we found each other somehow and we both came away enriched, I think. Learning he was a poet was thrilling, but learning that he played a Judge on the Disney version of "American Idol" left me a little starstruck. (Charles, am I remembering that right?) He certainly specializes in drinking it all in! I love "stretch/from tufted bed."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That meal with you is something I'll always remember. And you gave me a signed copy of your book. Both put a major smile on my face. MORDHORST POWER!

      Delete
  5. My daughter and I had a discussion last night about foods, eating imprudently, and what happens to one's health. I'm happy that Charles has taken control of his eating and that it is working for him. Poets need a clear head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I do enjoy a once a week vegan fast food excursion, I'm grateful to have curbed the eating intake. I need to live a long life, there's so many things to accomplish, poetic and otherwise.

      Delete
  6. Yes, Charles has such enthusiasm for life, and it breathes through his poetry. Thanks for sharing, Michelle and Charles! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your enthusiasm for life humbles and motivates ME, Irene!

      Delete
  7. I am always inspired by Charles's true goodness and his boundless energy. His haiku today turns my mind toward the rows of corn next door...fall is almost here. Come for a hike anytime, either or both of you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm inspired by your hard work, belief in yourself, and many, many poems of yours I've had the pleasure to read, Amy!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the invitation, Amy. How I'd love to get lost for a while in your corner of the world!

      Delete
  8. Very nice! As Irene said, Charles' love of life always shine through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your love of life, of writing, of sharing, of vegan pizza, shines through as well, Matt!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for highlighting me on your blog, Michelle! Thank you all for the kind comments as we do our best to read, write, and share children's poetry with the masses. CHILDREN'S POETRY POWER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always delighted and honored to share your work, Charles. CHILDREN'S POETRY POWER!

      Delete
  10. Such a beautiful view depicted by words and that quenches our souls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful pairing of words and images. I love how the title speaks on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post and lovely poem. Thanks. I enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely haiku, and I loved learning about Charles. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all the alliteration in your poem, Charles. Looking forward (I hope?!?) to reconnecting at NCTE this year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous picture, gorgeous words! Wow! I will never drive through eastern Colorado again without thinking of those "straw colored swaths…"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Michelle and Charles thank you for sharing your words and world. =)

    ReplyDelete