Friday, February 13, 2015

Limerick Alley: Neal Levin


Uh-oh.

It's Friday the 13th. 

Last time it was Friday the 13th in Limerick Alley....

It was bad.  
Bad. Bad. Baaaad



Today, I expect, will be different.

It's almost Valentine's Day for goodness sake.  How bad could it be?

No silly Friday the 13th superstition is going to interfere with my romantic Valentine's celebration.


Besides, we have limerick master Neal Levin here with us today. He's won the Saturday Evening Post Limerick Laughs contest EIGHT (!) times – 4 times as a first place winner and 4 times as a runner-up. I have full trust in Neal's good taste and limerick-writing ability.

Take it away, Neal....

DINNER WITH THE CANNIBALS
         By Neal Levin

We hope that this doesn't unnerve you,
But really, we'd love to reserve you
A place at our table.
So come, if you're able.
We'd truly be happy to serve you.

"Tastes like chicken."
GAH!

I should've known.


Neal is a Michigan-based writer/illustrator/cartoonist, and a leading cause of giggling in children nationwide, thanks to his generous talent for writing humorous children's poetry. His poems have appeared in several anthologies published by Meadowbrook Press, including Rolling In the Aisles, Dinner With Dracula, I've Been Burping In the Classroom, My Teacher's In Detention, and I Hope I Don't Strike Out, as well as a variety of national magazines and educational publications. Neal has also taught cartooning workshops to tens of thousands of students in the metropolitan Detroit area and creative writing classes at Camp Walden, a summer camp in northern Michigan. By sheer luck, I was honored to have him illustrate my poem "George Nissen, Boy Inventor" in Boys' Quest magazine last year. Visit Neal as his website: NealLevin.com

Thank you for being my guest in Limerick Alley today, Neal!
You are cordially invited to dinner at my house anytime... provided you leave your cannibal friends at home.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In case you missed last week's interview with David Elliott, he's challenged us to write letter poems this month. This week I featured my love letter to an Australian Magpie, as well as three other poems by Damon Dean, Katie Gast, and Matt Forrest Esenwine.  Keep those letter poems coming!

Cathy Mere is hosting today's Poetry Friday roundup over at Merely Day By Day.


26 comments:

  1. Such a lift your Neal Levin-illustrated trampoline, bio-in-a-poem page is in BOYS LIFE.
    Glad to get to know the multitalented Mr. Levin. Will enjoy following all the links.

    Happy Heart Day Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Jan... and for your comment over there too. :)

      Delete
  2. Ahh, now that's the way to start my day with a (twisted) smile! Thanks to both of you for sharing.
    (And congrats on the Boys Quest publication with a VIP illustrator to boot!)
    XOXO this weekend and always...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Great way to start my Friday with a smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a better way to start the day? Thanks, Kristi. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my, how different images (and a new title) could change the meaning of this fun poem. Thanks for sharing Neal Levin's work with us.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gah indeed! Thanks for the smile and for sharing Neal's work. Love the photo caption too :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chicken indeed....that Neal is a clever one (and so are you, Michelle.) Thanks for featuring his fun limerick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That chicken line was practically handed to me on a silver platter. How could I not serve it up for general consumption. ;)

      Delete
  7. What a fun limerick Neal wrote! And the accompanying photo is absolutely perfect! = ) Happy Friday the 13th AND Happy Valentine's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Now THAT is a limerick. Love it! Thank you, Michelle. And thank you, too, for noticing my mom in purple in that picture... also, this blog is you loving the world. Thank you. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you, Irene, for the kind words... there's certainly a lot to love about the children's poetry community!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful limerick, & they aren't easy to write. I've used the "burping in the classroom" with students-even the older ones love to laugh with it. I must have missed your trampoline poem last summer, very fun, Michelle. Back before insurance woes took over, my high school actually had a trampoline class. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I remember jumping on the trampoline at school too. We all stood around it to push the jumper back if they got too close to the edge. Ah, the good ol' days!

      Delete
  10. Terrific limerick. I love the form. I used to have my students write limericks for Shakespeare's birthday. They had to refer to one of his plays and they had to make me laugh to get an excellent grade.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the play on words, the humor, and that delightful photograph, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a fun one! Thanks, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neil Levin is a master! What a treat - though not an edible one! I always enjoy your Limerick Alley, Michelle. Happy (belated) Valentine's Day! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bridget. Limerick Alley is definitely an... interesting vacation spot. ;)

      Delete
  14. You WOULD combine the 2 days and creep me out. :-0

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it when a title carries part of a poem's meaning or humor. Awesome limerick, Neal!

    ReplyDelete