Wednesday, February 11, 2015

DMC: "Dear Dad" by Matt Forrest Esenwine




Dear Dad,

I’m having trouble fitting in.
I feel unhappy in my skin.
The kids at school all call me names;
they carry torches bright with flames.
Teachers chase me through the rooms
with pitchforks, clubs, and wooden brooms.
When I say, “Hi,” the parents flee.
It’s almost like they’re scared of me.
Sorry, I don’t mean to whine.

Love,
your son,
        Jack Frankenstein


© 2015 Matt Forrest Esenwine. All rights reserved.


David Elliott has challenged us to write a letter poem this month.  Click HERE for details.

RSVP with your poem to TodaysLittleDitty (at) gmail (dot) com, or use the contact form in the sidebar to the right. All contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration on February 27th, and one lucky participant will win a personalized copy of David's delightful new collection of bird poetry:





8 comments:

  1. Beautiful how you sneaked in those certain phrases that made me pause, then surprised at the very end, Matt. "Teachers chase. . ."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor kid. I'm quite sure if he had you as a teacher, Linda, things would be different. :)

      Delete
  2. Monsterfully done, Matt! I can always count on you for a fresh, new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been watching Young Frankenstein lately, Matt? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind comments! I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Jack. Loved this Matt. First a chuckle, then a pause, and a thought on how often this is sadly true.

    ReplyDelete