Friday, September 20, 2013

Who's up for putt-putt?



Welcome to Miniature Golf Week at Today's Little Ditty!  Didn't know it was Miniature Golf Week?  Neither did I until Laura Shovan enlightened me, bless her heart.  Actually she just told me about Miniature Golf Day, which is TOMORROW people-- get your putt on!  Miniature Golf Week was entirely my doing.  Laura was the featured poet in Limerick Alley this past Tuesday, starting us off with a delightfully goofy, golf-related ditty.  But now I'm taking that ball and running with it... well, actually whacking at it with a club and hoping for the best.

Today's little ditty draws upon memories of our own family mini golf outings, when my children were but wee munchkins with nothing to lose but their competitive spirit.
 

Golf Day

I pick a club that’s just my size
and ball so bright it hurts my eyes,
then place it on the perfect spot
to give that ball a great big swat!

Swing once… a miss.
Swing twice… just air.
The third time, with a bit more care…

Going
              going
                            going…

                                          THWACK!

                                      It hits the wall,
                             starts
              rolling
back.

Oh no you don’t!
I won’t be beat.
Don’t need the club,
I’ll use my feet
to kick
              and chase you
                                        to the hole….

                                                                 At last
                                                                 that ball
                                                                 drops

                                                                 i
                                                                 n

                                                                 t
                                                                 h
                                                                 e

                                                                 bowl.

My da says, “That’s not how it’s done,”
but he’s just sore because I won.

© 2013 Michelle Heidenrich Barnes.  All rights reserved.



Tabatha Yeatts holds the score card today at The Opposite of Indifference, so check out all the players in the Poetry Friday roundup.  Mini pencils for all!


21 comments:

  1. Hole-in-one-poem, Michelle. Fabuloso!!

    Love the shapes and movement, especially
    "It hits the wall starts rolling back" = brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jama! :) You can be my cheerleader anytime.

      Delete
  2. I love this, Michelle! So much action :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, this is so adorable. We never know where a poem will come from, do we? I'm glad that your invitation to write a limerick led me to National Mini Golf Day, which led you to this beautifully constructed poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree-- poems seem to appear out of nowhere, when really they're coming from everywhere! That said, if I was actually making any money at this, I might have to pay you to whisper in my ear every so often. :)

      Delete
  4. Grammie says "Poem is great! Pictures are aDORable!!!"
    NSU agrees, remember those times well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, somewhat different dynamics these days, but just as lovable. Glad you liked the post!

      Delete
  5. Calling him "Da" was what did it for me--that authentic detail, that child, that humanness.

    Thank you, Michelle ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, April, and for stopping by today!

      Delete
  6. Now that is one gorgeous photo and I so love the poem! I like poetic verse that has an ingenious structure and form such as this one, the visual layout adding further depth and dimension to the poem. You must have had a lot of fun making this. Beautiful, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Myra, and yes, It was a lot of fun! In this case, it was almost as if the poem wrote itself.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Doraine. I appreciate you taking time out of Miniature Golf Day to stop by!

      Delete
  8. I admire the detail and careful structure here, Michelle--and I do remember exactly these kind of hijinks at beachside minigolf outings. Dads always take it too seriously, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great, Michelle! It brings back so many memories of when my boys were little. I love the determination and the final victory by kicking the ball into the hole! Thanks so much for sharing.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How often have I had to restrain myself from doing that exact same kick-in-the-hole move...?

      Delete
  10. LOVE this, Michelle! I just played mini golf with my boys a few weeks ago--it was so much fun! Stop by my blog for a fun surprise! = )

    ReplyDelete