Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Colours: Poetry in Action from The Poetry Project



This week I discovered The Poetry Project: Poetry and Art from Ireland.  This nationally-sponsored website offers weekly pairings of a video and poem by leading and emerging Irish artists and writers.  The hope is that visitors to the site from around the world will "discover Ireland through different eyes" and "be moved, inspired, enthralled."  

Sadly, next week will be the project's last, but they are culminating with a "finale competition" to write a poem in response to any of the videos posted in the archive.  I don't know if you need to be from Ireland in order to enter, but more information about that contest that can be found here if you want to throw something together before September 16th.  Even if you don't enter, I promise you won't regret having a look around.

The video/poem I chose to highlight as today's little ditty spoke to me with all of its delicious layers of color, sound, and meaning.  According to the artist, Nick Miller, much of his work focuses on the experience of "meeting."  Here, his short time-lapse film records the artist's painted meeting with the text of John F. Deane's poem, "The Colours." (Click the link below the picture to view the video and poem.)




For more colors of the day, please join host and friend, Laura Shovan, for the Poetry Friday roundup at Author Amok.


15 comments:

  1. Wow - that was fascinating, definitely "poetry in action." Thanks for sharing, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing project! Isn't it frustrating when you discover something just as it's ending? This has so many possibilities, though! Thank you for sharing!
    Catheirne

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in sync, Michelle. I found this site, too. Was it from a post on FB? I also picked out Colours. I watched it a few times and wrote a poem and submitted it. I haven't shared it on my blog because I think I should wait to hear if it is selected. Who knows? We gotta keep at it, though, right? Did you submit? I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's incredible, Margaret! I found the site by doing a google search for poetry and video, or some such combination. So the fact that we both found the site, AND the poem, is just a random act of coolness. I haven't submitted yet, no. Not sure if I will. Good luck to you though!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Michelle. I love ekphrastic poetry projects. Have you ever participated in Amy Souza's Spark project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I wasn't aware of Amy Souza's Spark project until I googled it just now. Very cool!

      Delete
  5. What a neat project! You know I love the pairing of poetry and video - adding the art is the icing! Thanks for letting us know about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating project. Colours was really quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was just so lovely, a mesmerizing experience really. What an amazing project - thank uyou for sharing it with us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, I also considered posting I'd Mark With The Sunshine by Kalli Dakos today, but then I saw your beautiful post from January of this year. Very nice!

      Delete
  8. Wow. That was really interesting. I did find myself craving a voice. I wish the poet had read the poem as it appeared. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This project is quite the gem - too bad it is ending soon! Thanks for highlighting it for us this week so we could have a look around, Michelle! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many forms of art rolled in one piece. Truly beautiful, Michelle. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow seems to be the word of choice for this! I want to know how to make something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting, Michelle. It really had me captivated! I wish the poet had read it while the words were flashing by.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete