Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Limerick Alley: Laura Shovan


http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Denmark_St_1982.jpg

Although some of you are still recuperating from last Friday, here we are, back in the Alley with another limerick.  I wouldn't normally post two limericks within a few days of each other, but today is special.  It's special in two ways, actually.  First and foremost, it's special because of the inspiring person and poet I am lucky enough to feature today: Laura Shovan.

Over the past few months, I've gotten to know Laura through our interactions on Poetry Friday and the aspects of her life that she reveals on her blog, Author Amok.  But when I visited Laura's website to dig up a little more about her, I was pleasantly surprised at what I found.  Besides being an author and very cool, down-to-earth person, Laura is a children's poetry advocate as well.  Her alter ego is the popular Mrs. Poems, who delights in teaching poetry workshops in elementary, middle, and high schools throughout Maryland.  In 2010, she was awarded the inaugural Clarinda Harriss Poetry Prize, and word on the street has it that she's never turned down a limerick challenge either!

Laura is also the emissary of wacky holidays, which is the second reason why today is special.  Did you know that this Saturday, September 21st, is Miniature Golf Day?  No?  I didn't either.  But thanks to Laura, now I do, and you do too.  What's more, we're going to one-up that at Today's Little Ditty and make this Miniature Golf Week, ha HA!

So without further ado, here is Laura's Miniature Golf Day limerick:

                   My Day-Glo green ball just got stuck
                   in the throat of a big concrete duck.
                   If I reach down its bill,
                   knock my ball down the hill,
                   I might find years of Mini Golf muck.

                   © 2013 Laura Shovan.  All rights reserved.

Lilliput Gooney
This little ditty may have put Lilliput Gooney on edge, but I think it's just ducky!  

Thank you so much for visiting Limerick Alley, Laura, and for quacking us up with today's little ditty.

If you would like to join in the fun and have a limerick featured here in the future, please contact me at Michelle (at) MichelleHBarnes (dot) com, or by commenting below. 


2 comments:

  1. I love poems by Laura Shovan--
    That you can depend upon;
    If I made a bar graph
    Of times she made me laugh,
    It would reach to Kazakhstan.

    ReplyDelete