Monday, March 30, 2020

DMC: "The Game of Getting Lost" by Elizabeth Steinglass




THE GAME OF GETTING LOST

Under the palms and banana leaves
along the winding trails,
I ran ahead of my mom and dad
and found myself alone.

On my own in the giant world,
I chose which way to go.
I crossed the swaying wooden bridge,
I passed the waterfall,

I smelled the lemony golden elves,
I petted the pompom tree,
and when I felt I’d been gone too long,
I turned myself around.

Spying my parents along the path,
I skipped away again,
playing the game of getting lost
within the greenhouse walls. 


© 2020 Elizabeth Steinglass. All rights reserved.


TLD reader Tabatha Yeatts has challenged us to write a poem about a game (any kind). Click HERE for more details and to add your poem to the padlet. You can read all of the poems contributed this month HERE.



6 comments:

  1. Such an enchanting place to get lost, Liz! I love all the details about what she sees on her adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michelle! I really did do this in the Climatron at the Missouri Botanical Gardens. I have no idea if my parents had any idea what I was doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! I've gotten lost before. But, it wasn't as fun as this. Great poem. I love the lemony golden elves best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you have a good imagination, you can invent a game wherever you are! Getting actually lost is scary, but play-lost is beautiful. Thanks, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a little part of me still does this every time I enter a botanical garden greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The safety of the greenhouse walls makes getting lost joyful, Liz. I want to pet a pom pom tree! :)

    ReplyDelete