Monday, May 21, 2018

DMC: "Pollen" by Jesse Anna Bornemann




POLLEN

Springtime brings a mating dance
For certain lush, seed-bearing plants:
“Knock, knock!” one says. “A suitor’s callin’!”
“Can’t offer wealth…but I’ve got pollen!”
And though this gift upon the breeze
Makes human lovebirds snort and sneeze,
It works quite well to woo a rose
Whose heart’s not burdened by a nose.


© 2018 Jesse Anna Bornemann. All rights reserved.


Click HERE to read this month's interview with Julie Fogliano. She has challenged us to stare out the window and write a poem about what we see. You might even consider writing something down every day for a week:
At the end of the week, read through what you wrote and write your favorite bits on a separate piece of paper. I bet there will be a poem in there somewhere… see if you can find it.  – J. F.
Leave your poem on our May 2018 padlet. While some contributions will be featured as daily ditties this month, all contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration this Friday, May 25th, and one lucky participant will win a personalized copy of her stunning new picture book from Roaring Brook Press:






9 comments:

  1. So clever and funny, Jesse! If I had your window view, I don't think I'd get anything done. I'd be too busy binge-watching. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way your words sound as you read this such rich language

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, this is marvelous, the story's so clever, the rhythm & rhyme--perfect! I am smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is delightful! So clever and such wonderful word choice, rhyme, and rhythm. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all of the kind comments! And thanks again for featuring my poem, Michelle! I can tell that the plants are doing all sorts of scandalous things outside my window today...my nose is running.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I think your window must overlook Sacramento, the capital of spring allergies. Very clever and cute poem. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great poem. It has movement, rhythm, and rhyme!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! This is the time of year when I wish I were not so burdened also. ;0)

    ReplyDelete