Thursday, July 25, 2019

July DMC Wrap-Up Celebration


"Found Treasure" by Thomas Hawk

“No thief, however skillful, can rob one of knowledge, and that is why knowledge is the best and safest treasure to acquire.”
                    ― L. Frank Baum, from The Lost Princess of Oz


At the beginning of this month, Linda Mitchell sent us on a treasure hunt. We traveled far and wide . . .


Darren Flinders
Tom Gill
Retlaw Snellac Photography
Space Gamer


intrepid armchair explorers in search of knowledge and poetry.

"Bombus Enormous" by Apionid

Our quest was to read interesting articles and find the haiku that were hidden there. 

                    So how did we do?


"Found Treasure" by Paisley Prints


Scroll through the poems below, or CLICK HERE to open in a new tab.

Made with Padlet


I hope you enjoyed our first reader ditty challenge as much as I did!

I owe a debt of gratitude to Linda Mitchell for coming up with such a terrific idea (leave it to a teacher-librarian to make learning fun!) and to everyone who submitted poems in response.


Inspired to create your own "found haiku"? 

Visit Linda's spotlight interview for instructions and then click on the pink dot with the plus sign to add your poem to the padlet. While there aren't many days left in July, I'll be leaving this padlet open indefinitely, so feel free to add to it at any time.

Stay tuned for a new reader spotlight next Friday, August 2nd.


The Best of Today's Little Ditty, 2017-2018

Along with finding a haiku this month, I was lucky enough to find another treasure—time! Specifically, time to devote to our third Best of Today's Little Ditty anthology. This year's ditty committee spent the last several weeks reviewing 527 (!) poems submitted for challenges in 2017 and 2018. I'm still compiling the results, but expect to be sending out contracts next month.

Margaret Simon is "stealing like an artist" at Reflections on the Teche. She shares a beautiful original poem inspired by a borrowed title, and links to this week's Poetry Friday roundup.



16 comments:

  1. This was yet another fun challenge. Thank you to both Linda and Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had such a BLAST reading all the haiku and the articles. Thanks for the fun time. You made me feel special and so much really good writing resulted. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading through everyone's "finds", quite a variety of topics, too. Thanks, Linda & Michelle. Yikes, August's coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much wisdom garnered in each little haiku. A great challenge that was quite addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a wonderful challenge and a great link to some fantastic articles. Thanks for the great interview, Michelle, and the inspiring challenge, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been such a fun challenge--and doubly rich with poetry and links to more interesting reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think everyone did an awesome job. What a great challenge, thanks Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You found some really wonderful travel photos to accompany this post! That Bombus Enormous *shiver*!
    Thanks, Linda and M. for this cool challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle, I finally found a human interest article that I really liked for its focus on saving the environment, Long Island style. I always seem like I am sliding into each one of your challenges. This time it was because I was stuck. I could not find the right article until yesterday. I read through the offerings several times and am impressed with the range of found haikus. Thank you for hosting and thank you to Linda for coming up with the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved all the threads of articles Linda's prompt created from this jaunt into found haikus…thanks Linda and Michelle for this rich collection! Looking forward to your next Reader Spotlight Michelle, and that Bee is tremendous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a rich challenge. I agree that it was addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a feast of found haiku! I found myself creating more haiku from articles throughout the month. Thank you to you and Linda for this fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness--how did I miss this opportunity? I need to work on my alarms, clearly. Still, I'll add one--my copyeditor daughter has begun to write "diversions" reviews for her college paper. There will be something juicy there.

    ReplyDelete