Thursday, September 15, 2016

DMC: "Valedictory Septercet" by Jane Yolen




VALEDICTORY SEPTERCET

Tomorrow I'm on the plane,
Chasing west and going home.
Shedding hours as I fly.

Behind me I leave Scotland,
Heart's home, and men who wear kilts.
Consonants that burr so hard

They sound like a tea kettle
On the boil: One lump or two?
After each rain a rainbow.

It's a hard life, that I know,
But I'm taking that bullet
For all my writer buddies.

Some day you will all thank me,
Drinking tea in my Great Hall,
And talking about great books.

© 2016 Jane Yolen. All rights reserved.



Jane Yolen has challenged us to write a septercet that features reading or writing this month. What is a septercet?  Click HERE for more details.

Post your poem on our September 2016 padlet. All contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration on Friday, September 30th, and one lucky participant will win a personalized copy of her fabulous new collection of science poetry:






7 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in your own challenge, Jane!

    My favorite memory from Scotland was when we were driving up the east coast, we stayed in a B&B—might have been in Aberdeen–and our hosts' daughter recited A.A. Milne's "Furry Bear" for us at breakfast. She was practicing for school. To hear "If I were a bear/And a big bear too..." from the mouth of a charming little girl with the most enchanting Scottish brogue was unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go their some day your challenge have thought me how to cont. slibals when I was talking to a friend that was a teacher and told here about the challenge this mount I sad I dont know how to write poems like that she sad clap as you say each word and the number of clap for each word tells you how many witch helped me understand or read about that I wouldn't of understood and to try to learn by reading a pome wouldn't of know so you helped me learn to do this :) by giving this challenge your poem is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Save a seat for me in the Great Hall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will come to drink tea in your great hall any time, Jane Yolen! We've only made one visit to Scotland. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is much fun, Jane Yolen. Will be looking for that novel of yours Scotland-set.
    And yay! about inventing a poetry Form that we can struggle to achieve.

    Michelle, your Scotland memory has got me thinking about mine, which is bonny, but didn't include a moment like that.



    ReplyDelete
  6. The easy of your words, Jane, is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed journeying to Scotland via your septercet meter Jane, hope to make it there one day . . . Thanks!

    ReplyDelete