Friday, December 5, 2014

Reflections of Flight


"South for the Winter" by tdlucas5000

This year has flown by, hasn't it?

It certainly has for me.  

I announced my intentions and defined my plans at the beginning of 2014. My goal: to fly. Revisiting these posts, I respect their honesty and love them for their hopefulness.  Fast forward to today, and I'm touching down to reflect on the year's journey. 

"Bird landing on balcony, Barbados" by Berit Watkin
As I predicted back in January, it hasn't always been easy. I've had my share of botched take-offs, miscalculations, fatigue... I've even crashed into a few window panes. But with the help of family, friends, and writing partners, I've managed to shake out my wings and keep going.

I've also had my successes. Looking back on the places my "one little word" has taken me, I'm especially proud of the way Today's Little Ditty has soared and inspired.  I'm grateful for the insight of my TLD contributors, for my featured guests in the Haiku Garden and Limerick Alley, for the outstanding authors who trust me with their interviews and book reviews for the Ditty of the Month Club, for the lively bunch of DMC participants and commenters, and for my silently supportive followers as well. I'm also thankful for Poetry Friday, the KidLitosphere, and my growing flock of poetry-loving friends – those I've found and those who have found me.  

Today's Little Ditty will be taking a brief hiatus for the rest of December, but don't fret, DMC fans! I have more fabulous children's poetry and picture book stars lined up for next year, beginning in January with...

                                     wait for it...

                                                   Joyce Sidman!

I'm delighted that Joyce will be joining me next month, and look forward to seeing you all as well, rejuvenated from the holidays and ready to spread ditty joy.

Thanks again to Bob Raczka for being my featured author in November and to everyone who participated in his fun haiku challenge!  For those who missed last week's wrap-up, you can find it HERE.  Random.org has determined that the winner of SANTA CLAUSES: Short Poems from the North Pole, by Bob Raczka and illustrated by Chuck Groenink is:

CAROL WILCOX – congratulations Carol!

I'd like to leave you today with the Golden Shovel that I wrote in response to Laura Shovan's invitation this past October.  The Golden Shovel is a poetic form that takes a line from a favorite poem and uses those words, in order, as the end words of a new poem.  I based mine on a line from Adelaide Crapsey's "November Night": "Like steps of passing ghosts." I then superimposed my poem onto a public domain image I found on pixabay.com so that Carol Varsalona could include it in her Finding Fall Gallery.  Keep your eyes peeled for Carol's gallery opening in the next week or two.

(click on image to enlarge)

Wishing you the gift of poetry this holiday season, beginning with today's Poetry Friday roundup. Anastasia Suen is our host at Booktalking #kidlit.

38 comments:

  1. Michelle, you have indeed been flying this year! Thank you for all the ways you have blessed the world with your presence and passion for poetry. Love Grandma's hands in your poem... makes me miss mine so very much (but in a good way!). Keep it coming... excited for Joyce launching your 2015!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Irene and right backatcha about the presence and passion part. I'm grateful to know you. :) xo

      Delete
  2. Thanks for bringing us on a delightful flight this year, Michelle! We'll miss you for the rest of December. Hope you have a wonderful time over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabatha. I'll probably be popping in at your blog from time to time... you can't get rid of me that easily. ;)

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your December! It'll be too quiet without you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this space to share a love of poetry. Have a holiday full of peace, rest, and love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always know how to make me smile, Kristi. Wishing you the same, and see you next year!

      Delete
  5. Your poem is perfection! What a cool poetic form. :) Congrats on all the wonderful TLD milestones this year, and have a glorious holiday season :). See you in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Jama. Hope your holidays are warm and tasty! See you soon. :)

      Delete
  6. You've done a great job with your blog and this poem, Michelle...have an enjoyable December!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely poem, Michelle. You have taken up lots of fun blog endeavors this year. It is a thriving poetry community here. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine... means so much to hear those words, "thriving poetry community." Thanks for being a part of it! :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for taking all of us along with you as you soared this year, Michelle. Your inflight poetry service was perfection. And thank you for sharing this Golden Shovel - I still need to try this form. Wishing you a relaxed rest of December - see you next year! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I think I'll need to put that inflight poetry service comment on my webpage-- who wouldn't be sold on that?! Enjoy your holidays with your beautiful family, Bridget.

      Delete
  9. I have so enjoyed this year flying in your flock with you. Look forward to January and 2015. Thanks for being such a generous and supportive friend. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've enjoyed sharing the flight with you too, Margaret! You and your class have touched my life in a special way. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  10. Michelle, I am avid follower of your journey and your inspiration. I think your poem is going to be a smashing success on the Finding Fall Gallery of which I need to design. I feel like I have been in a whirlwind of to dos. Next week, I have a week long curriculum conference at NYS Ed in Albany. I think I will offer the Finding Fall Gallery as my Christmas gift to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what a beautiful Christmas gift I'm sure it will be! Thanks for inspiring me as well, Carol. :)

      Delete
  11. Love your poem, Michelle! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful poem! Thanks for sharing it with us. I've enjoyed reading you blog this year. Enjoy your time away. I look forward to January and Joyce Sidman, one of my favorite poets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being such a supportive reader, Rosi. I appreciate it and look forward to "seeing" you in January!

      Delete
  13. Enjoy the much deserved break, Michelle - you've certainly had a fabulous year of flight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happiest of holidays to you Michelle. It's always a pleasure visiting your blog. You've given me much pleasure this year with your lovely posts and grand challenges. I love your poem-that 'threshold of memory' is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great year on Today's Little DItty!! You have accomplished much and give much to the community/world! Looking forward to Joyce Sidman!!

    There's something about "grandma's hands" that pulls your poem straight into my heart. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your words just found a home in my heart, Mary Lee. Thank you!

      Delete
  16. Lovely Michelle. I especially am drawn to the leaves as an elder's hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I didn't speak to this directly in my poem, but besides the mottled skin, it's the veins that really make the connection me.

      Delete
  17. Go Michelle go! Rest Miichelle rest!
    Your post inspires me to look back and take stock of what I achieved this year, which feel like painfully little at this moment...but I bet it's more than I realize, and stopping to feel grateful for my opportunities and connections as you do will be peacemaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way, Heidi, in so many ways (other than the blog). "Peacemaking" is a wonderful way of looking at it. Reminding myself what I've accomplished, accepting that I've done the best I can, and allowing myself a fresh start. I'm glad my post was able to give you that little push to take stock.

      Delete
  18. Just beautiful - Thanks for sharing, and enjoy a much deserved bloggy break! (Already looking forward to January over here.)
    Peaceful holidays to you & yours... xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have enjoyed your blog so much. It's something I look forward to.
    Fallen is beautiful, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful poem, Michelle. I'm glad the form worked well for you. The opening simile caught me -- I can see those paper-thin hands.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like your Golden Shovel poem, Michelle! Have a wonderful holiday season and enjoy your break--you deserve it! = )

    ReplyDelete