Thursday, December 19, 2013

Book Love: Views from a Window Seat



You won't find a lot of book reviews on Today's Little Ditty.  While I love to read, reviewing books usually feels like homework, and this Ditty Girl doesn't do book reports.  However, every once in a while a book comes along that feels like an old friend-- one that sits so comfortably in my heart, by sharing it I feel as if I am sharing a piece of myself. 

Views from a Window Seat: Thoughts On Writing And Life, by Jeannine Atkins, is one of those.

A few of you may remember a certain giveaway on Irene Latham's blog, Live Your Poem, last month.  It was marked by waving hands, flailing elbows, pushing and shoving... okay, there were no flailing elbows to speak of, but the rest is all true.  Somehow, I managed to win that giveaway, and have been savoring Jeannine's book in bits and pieces ever since.

On the surface, this is a book of essays that focuses on the writing process.  It is organized into four sections, or seasons, as viewed from Jeannine's window seat: Spring: Beginning, Summer: Moving Through the Middle, Fall: Revising, and Winter: Finding an End.  But really, this book is so much more than a how-to guide.  It's an honest look at what it means to be a writer, a beautiful personal account of one writer's journey, and a source of meditation and motivation-- an inspirational companion. 

I have chosen to share with you a piece from one of Jeannine's winter essays, titled "Words and Wreaths."  The reason I chose it is because my parents arrived this week from out of town.  Up until now, we've scarcely paid any mind to holiday preparations at the Barnes house-- no tree, no lights, no cookies.  Why? Because we've been too distracted by "everything else."  Family time has taken a back seat to homework, outside social engagements, work responsibilities, and a whole lot of same old same old.  But now that school is out and the grandparents are here, the full orchestration of togetherness and family holiday traditions can begin!

In the following passage, Jeannine describes her annual tradition of hosting a gathering where family and friends make holiday wreaths together: 

       A friend admired the bushiness of the one I made this year, the way branches jutted every which way.  I told her that this was how I write, first going for broke, leaving the clipping for later.  I let the colors of the spruce and hemlock suggest whether they want red ribbon, holly berries, pale dried grasses, or a glittery band of stars.
       My friend worried that the stuff on her leaner wreath would blow away.
       Peter, whose wreath was enormous, said, "That's what's supposed to happen."
       The world is windy.  Dried grasses or blooms fall off, like memories or extraneous facts.  But the green circle holds for a while.

For me, it's now time to focus less on the accessories, and more on nurturing that inner green circle.

And speaking of inner circles, Buffy Silverman is waiting to welcome you to the Poetry Friday roundup.  Frankly, I don't know of a more supportive or welcoming bunch of people, so please do join us at Buffy's Blog.


28 comments:

  1. Wonderful image of the green circle holding--good to remember on a windy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree! We mustn't let the bluster get the best of us.

      Delete
  2. I'm still reading Jeannine's book and loving every bit, as you write, Michelle. It is a treasure of words to delight and comfort all at the same time. Thanks for sharing. Happy 'getting ready' days to you & the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I'm going to be enjoying these last few days of holiday preparations very much. Whether or not I admit to it, the urge to get started has been building up for some time! Wishing you and your family fun and special times together as well! (Never hard to come by with little ones!)

      Delete
  3. Michelle, so glad you chose this bit to share! I've thought many times recently of Jeannine making wreaths and of the analogy she created here... I'm with you, focusing on that green circle.... thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Irene... for the comment and, again, for the book. :) So nice that I didn't have to wait for Santa to bring it. I've also borrowed a copy of Pat Schneider's How the Light Gets In from the library, so I have plenty to inspire me over the next few weeks!

      Delete
  4. This book sounds so great -- I put it on my wish list the first time I saw it reviewed. Maybe it's time to go buy it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be sorry, Ruth. This book is all that I imagined it would be and more.

      Delete
  5. You've increased my anticipation -- I snuck this as a gift to myself when I ordered gifts from Amazon. Should arrive any day! Great selection to share today, Ditty Girl. I love the line "full orchestration of togetherness."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keri. You truly deserve this little gift to yourself. Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. I need to get this book. Jeannine's writing is simply divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that's beautiful. Protecting that inner green circle. It sounds like L'Engle's A Ring of Endless Light. This truly sounds like a beautiful book. Congratulations to Jeannine! :) Thanks for sharing it too this week, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a beautiful book, Myra. Thanks for your gracious comment.

      Delete
  8. I have been needing to relax a bit, to focus on the green circle. Thanks for the reminder :-) Enjoy your togetherness and traditions, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Tabatha, thank you. I hope you enjoy some of that green circle goodness as well!

      Delete
  9. I keep Jeannine's book in my book bag - it's been so inspiring to dip into my favorite passages every now and then. Thank you for highlighting it today, Michelle. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a splendid idea to carry it around with you like a trusty companion! Happy holidays to you too, Tara. :)

      Delete
  10. Michelle, thank you for the kind and creative words. I like seeing your take on wreath-making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally my pleasure, Jeannine! Thank YOU for writing a book that speaks to me so genuinely.

      Delete
  11. I've loved every post I've read about this book. (I was one of the elbowing, arm-flailing commenters vying to win it at Irene's.. ;0) ) It's on my "to treat myself" list for when we finish moving and I get myself settled in Beaufort, though I probably need to stop and savor passages such as this one in the middle of the chaos! Thanks to both of you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As if I didn't already know, you crazy flailer, you! ;) I know how stressful moves can be, and hope yours goes as smoothly as possible, Robyn! I'm sure you WILL be ready to treat yourself, once the chaos has subsided.

      Delete
  12. This is lovely, Michelle! The more I read about this book, the more I think I think I'd like a copy. Hope your festivities fall into beautiful place in the coming days.

    Violet N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the thoughtful wishes and words, Violet. :) There is certainly much to appreciate about this book, and I hope you are able to get yourself a copy.

      Delete
  13. Just taking a moment to say, I'll be ordering this one for the library!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely review. I think I must own this!

    ReplyDelete