Thursday, August 14, 2014

DMC: "Cock-a-doodle Squirm" by Buffy Silverman




"A farmer that's sleepy
needs someone who's creepy.
That's me!" said Squirmy the Worm.
"I'll slide up his toes, 
Cock-a-doodle his nose!"
But a sneeze left Sir Wormy infirm.

– Buffy Silverman, all rights reserved


Lori Degman has challenged us to wake Farmer McPeeper.  If you would like to join in the animal antics, write a stanza in the same style as COCK-A-DOODLE OOPS! (click HERE for details) and send to TodaysLittleDitty (at) gmail (dot) com or use the contact form in the sidebar to the right.

All participants will be rounded up for an end-of-month hoedown on August 29th and entered to win a personalized copy of Lori's delightful new picture book:




7 comments:

  1. I have to tell you, Buffy, one of the reasons I find this verse so hilarious (besides the fun word play) is that I keep replaying the image of this poor worm, buffeted by a sneeze breeze, slammed into the opposite wall, then slowly sliding down, leaving a trail of wet behind, a ring of stars around its head. Too many cartoons as a child. Mea culpa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't help but laugh, but perhaps should be sad for Sir Wormy, and maybe that poor farmer too. Assault on the ears is one thing, but on the nose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I have to say that that third line bugs me. Here it is again:

    "A farmer that's sleepy
    needs someone who's creepy.
    That's me!" said Squirmy the Worm.
    "I'll slide up his toes,
    Cock-a-doodle his nose!"
    But a sneeze left Sir Wormy infirm.

    Thanks to you and Lori for the fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! A worm sliding from my toes to my nose would incite something other than a sneeze from me! Excellent job, Buffy! Thank you for the heeby-jeeby induced smiles today. = )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your verse is terrific, Buffy! Thanks for adding to the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really fun. I just got the book the other day. It's so clever, and the ending just cracked me up. I enjoy seeing the verses people are coming up with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Rosi! I"m enjoying all the verses too!

    ReplyDelete