Thursday, August 7, 2014

Haiku Garden: Violet Nesdoly


Photo: Tai, "Dew on Grass"

“A writer is like a bag lady going through life with a sack and a  pointed stick collecting stuff.”
                                           –Tony Hillerman

I found this wonderful quotation on the Poetry page of Violet Nesdoly's author website.  I thought it speaks well to Violet, since she, herself, is the ultimate collector – of nature, art, moments, words....  She displays them in exquisite detail in her poems, her photography, and in the way she lives and values life.  I'm honored to welcome her to the Haiku Garden.


http://wallpaperscraft.com/download/grass_moisture_dew_drops_morning_17514/

dew scattered on grass
one carat diamonds winking
the day’s promise

 © 2011 Violet Nesdoly. All rights reserved.


Violet sent me this gem with the following description: "I wrote this haiku in 2011, in a stretch of beautiful August days, each one beginning with a dew-drenched morning."  I'm sure she joins me in wishing that everyone who reads this can enjoy a few days this month as magical as the ones that inspired today's little ditty.

Photo: Jason Rogers, "Morning Dew"

And while we are gathered here in the Haiku Garden, I would be remiss if I didn't also share this link to one of my favorite posts on Violet's poetry blog– a series of haiku detailing the life cycle of a Magnolia blossom.

Besides writing poetry for both children and adults, Violet writes non-fiction, fiction, activities, book reviews, and devotionals. She also blogs... blogs, blogs, and blogs some more.  For those who lost count, that's four blogs in total.  In addition to her author blog and poetry blog which I've already mentioned, she maintains PROMPTINGS 2, a personal photoblog, and Other Food: daily devos, a source of daily devotions for adults.  As someone who occasionally struggles to keep one blog afloat, I am astounded that Violet can keep up with them all!  But that she does... and still she pauses, with her sack and pointed stick, to take in a dew drop on a blade of grass.


Thank you, Violet, for sharing yourself and your gifts 
in the Haiku Garden today!


For those who missed last week's announcement of our August featured author, Lori Degman, and her fun new DMC challenge, you can find all the details HERE.

Today's Poetry Friday roundup is being hosted by Mary Lee at A Year of Reading.






37 comments:

  1. We can take a good lesson from Violet: no matter how busy life gets, stop and notice the beauty of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, you are so kind! Thanks for inviting me to be part of your garden and I just love the photos you chose to illustrate the haiku! (As for all those blogs, only one of them is a daily write because it's part of my personal spiritual practice. The rest are sporadic so I'm perhaps not as prolific a writer as you make out!) May you have a sparkling day!

    Violet N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sporadic or not, four blogs is still impressive to me, Violet. :) And yes, aren't those photos incredible? I was thrilled to find ones so complementary to your words! Thanks again for bringing your sparkle to TLD.

      Delete
  3. I too, love the photos. The specificity of Violet's "one carat diamonds" is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Diane -- the "one carat" really did it for me! Lovely lovely. Well done, Violet, and thank you, Michelle! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Violet's haiku is wonderful, and I love Tony Hillerman's quote. The next time I feel overwhelmed by my piles and files I'll think of his words. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love that quote too. Perhaps we should both post it on the wall where it won't get lost in all our piles! ;)

      Delete
  6. Love that quote. Beautiful haiku and wow I had no idea Violet had so many blogs. Busy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came from Violet's other beautiful words about the flowers of summer, and now this, the gems of morning. Lovely inspiration from her, Michelle, and the photos are breathtaking too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looked at the diamonds in my grass differently this morning after reading Violet's haiku. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle, thank you for a peek into your Haiku garden with Violet's pieces. I was struck by the clarity of the one carat diamonds' haiku that opened my eyes to the beauty of nature and the skill of being more observant.
    the day’s promise

    ReplyDelete
  10. All those sparkly blogs, like so many lovely dewdrops! Thank you both for sharing today. (Gorgeous photographs, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great quote by Tony Hillerman.
    Thanks for sharing Violet's beautiful Haiku today!

    Donna
    http://inoahcat.blogspot.com/2014/08/cat-pats.html
    http://mainelywrite.blogspot.com/2014/08/home-made.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the quote and the photos and the poetry. We could use some dew in the hot August mornings, but it's so dry here we don't even see much of that. Thanks for a day brightener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a road trip to Vancouver may be in order, Rosi!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing Violet's haiku--love those one carat diamonds winking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like a little dew drop flirtation to brighten your morning, eh?

      Delete
  14. I am impressed by Violet's productivity -- wow! You can feel the day's promise in those sparkling photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The amount of "dew photography" on Flikr is astonishing! I think I might have to write a poem about a spider web at dawn just so that I can use some of the dew-coated spider web photos I found.

      Delete
  15. I love the smell of dew in the morning. Gorgeous photograph and lovely poem by Violet. As the song says, it 'shines bright like a diamond.' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, early morning perfume is amazing! So fresh and lovely, crisp and clean.

      Delete
  16. Thank you for sharing Violet's sparkling haiku. The magnolia haiku are wonderful word pictures to accompany the photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they beautiful? Violet is certainly a multi-talented artist.

      Delete
  17. Violet's haiku speaks volumes in so few words - amazing talent. Thank you for highlighting her talents, Michelle. = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Bridget. Violet's talent is inspiring.

      Delete