Friday, April 18, 2014

Haiku Garden: Tabatha Yeatts



"The kitchen really is the castle itself.  This is where we spend our happiest moments and where we find the joy of being a family."
                                                                                          –Mario Batali

Tabatha Yeatts' kitchen is not only the heart of her home, apparently, it is the Grand Central Station of pet antics as well.  

Don't bother asking the culprits...

Emma
Foo Foo
Peep, aka Penelopeep
Cleo

...they'll deny everything.  

But I have evidence: Tabatha's Pets in the Kitchen series, which she's kindly brought with her to the Haiku Garden today.


          I.
          Trust is Rabbit
          racing between Cat's legs
          to reach his dinner.

          II.
          Cat on kitchen table
          intently licking a bowl.
          What was here before?


          III.
          Doomed dalliance:
          Lovebird chirps a duet with
          beeping microwave.

          IV.
          Cats can pad in silently
          but the clatter of Rabbit's nails
          gives him away.


          © 2014 Tabatha Yeatts. All rights reserved.


Beguiling as they are, those furry and feathery faces can't fool me!  This is what really happened:

Drawing by Miranda Barnes

And then, this:

Photo: Tabatha Yeatts

Some of you may recall that Tabatha made an appearance on Today's Little Ditty earlier this year with her poem "Secret Superpowers."  It's good to know that one of Tabatha's superpowers is pet-wrangling!  Of course she has other superpowers as well, not the least of which is her vivid and thought-provoking writing.  Besides writing books, articles, poems, puzzles, and short stories for young people, Tabatha's blog, The Opposite of Indifference, is a gathering place for anyone who enjoys pondering the secrets of life through music, art, and poetry.  For National Poetry Month, she has been capturing intriguing new worlds in a Directory of Imaginary Poems– a not-to-be-missed series.

When I invited Tabatha to the Haiku Garden, I had no idea that her visit would come on the heels of National Haiku Poetry Day 2014.  How's that for kismet?  Please join me in thanking Tabatha and her marvelous mischief-making menagerie for helping us to celebrate the occasion!

Robyn Hood Black, another animal lover and poetry superstar, has today's Poetry Friday roundup at Life on the Deckle Edge.


The kitchen really is the castle itself. This is where we spend our happiest moments and where we find the joy of being a family.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/mariobatal436547.html#Auu4qcrTmD3Bzbmc.99

42 comments:

  1. I adore Miranda's drawing! Thanks so much for inviting me to visit the Haiku Garden, Michelle! You obviously have my pets' number...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well I gave Miranda your haiku without showing her the photos, so apologies if anyone is offended because their likenesses are not quite right. ;)

      Thanks for being here, Tabatha, and for the fun you brought to the Garden today!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness. Usually when someone shares a set of poems (not here, specifically, but anywhere!), I find one to be spectacular--something that really speaks to me--and the rest to be fine. But on this one, each of the four is amazing. Tabatha really has a gift for capturing a tiny moment/thought and exploding it somehow in the confines of a haiku. Beautiful! I think III is my absolute favorite, but I, II, and III will all stick with me through the day, I know. Thanks, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the way you put that, Laura: "capturing a tiny moment/thought and exploding it...." So true!

      Delete
  3. A kitchen full of pets! I can only imagine the chaos based upon my experiences with two cats! Tabatha does a fine job of capturing the fun. My favorite is "What was here before?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is that the cats are most often the instigators... especially that Cleo. The crossed paws are a dead giveaway.

      Delete
  4. I laughed aloud over that doomed dalliance--wonderful word picture! Thanks for writing these, Tabatha, and for sharing them, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better a microwave than a vacuum cleaner.... Trying to remember, was it a Clash song that had a line about a vacuum and a budgie?

      Delete
  5. I'm all over these -- such fun! Love Miranda's drawing too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miranda thanks you, Jama. :) She'll gladly do a portrait of Cornelius any time you ask! (And, quite possibly, even without you asking.)

      Delete
  6. Such fun to take a peek at Tabatha's menagerie! Love the pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm sorry for the poor rabbit whose loud claws do not help his sneakiness. He needs buddy help! Wonderful small peeks into Tabatha's kitchen. I always love her posts! Thanks, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps he can stick a mini-marshmallow on the end of each claw? That might do the trick. ;)

      Delete
  8. When I read these musings earlier this morning, and saw these pictures (especially Cleo's "pose"), well - it made my day. Miranda's illustration is terrific, too! Mrrrowwww.... (and hello from my own mischievous menagerie).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought you might be able to relate to this one, Robyn. :)

      Delete
  9. I've always known that it's a jungle out there in the kitchen - and that is why my husband keeps me safe from it and does all his work there in private (and in secret). :) Gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Myra. With my kids, I have enough trouble keeping track of the the food going in and out, let alone any pets. ;)

      Delete
  10. I am a closet Haiku poet, Michelle, and will return to this site. I have been so busy with household redecorating and wedding planning that I have been away for far too long. I just can feel each of these sweet pets in all the poems. The idea of the bunny scurrying between the cat's legs for dinner is hilarious. And the rest are spot on. Glad you visited at Laura's blog and that my source poem post resonated for you. I put up a Sound Cloud version (which needs to be re-done as I made a mistake but I don't have an easy way to correct it yet, missing microphone!) in a comment at Laura's blog. I have such a different version compared to the Yeats' one and I think that is the beauty of our voices and poetry. We bring our own spirit to someone else's words and they can still matter.
    Janet F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to go back to check out your Sound Cloud, Janet. I didn't know you were a closet haiku poet! Maybe you'd like to be featured here in future? After all the craziness dies down?

      Delete
  11. Love III - "Doomed dalliance..." Thanks Tabatha & Michelle!

    Violet N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be a real crowd pleaser-- possibly a hit single in the making!

      Delete
  12. Cute drawing and cute poems. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the photos of the pets and the idea of them all living together. I love Miranda's illustration of exactly that. My favorite of the haiku are rabbit sneaking between the cat's legs to get to the bowl and the bird singing with the microwave. Did you hear the interview with Jean Craighead George's children on Science Friday? http://www.sciencefriday.com/segment/04/11/2014/with-her-kids-help-jean-craighead-george-s-ice-whale-sees-print.html
    It's hilarious and only 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I hadn't heard that Science Friday-- too funny! Thanks for sharing the link. I'm not sure how I'd feel about showering with an owl, but it does give more insight into Jean Craighead George's HOW TO TALK TO YOUR CAT which I've read.

      Delete
  14. Thanks, Michelle, and what fun, Tabatha! I'm partial also to III and the bird-and-microwave duet--the perfect pet-kitchen pairing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Heidi, you can't beat live music with every meal either.

      Delete
  15. So. Much. Fun!! I love them all, but would like to request a 5th: Peep Pecking Popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another true story for you:

      The whirring arrival
      of the mini helicopter
      sends popcorn everywhere

      Delete
    2. Well-played, Tabatha!

      Obviously, there's never a dull moment in your house!!

      Delete
  16. These pet-inspired haiku are wonderful. I love the look on the face of the kitty on the floor. Whoops! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabatha told me that was Emma whose legs Foo Foo ran through. Poor thing-- too much excitement for a nearly 18 yr. old kitty.

      Delete
  17. Awesome post, Michelle. I laughed at Tabatha's poems -- together they create quite a picture of life in her household. Of the photographs -- Peep in her popcorn bath/feast cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I just love when writers hand me hilarity on a platter. Makes my job that much easier!

      Delete
  18. Wonderful post, Michelle and Tabatha! Those pets are hilarious, and I love the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these and can just see the dance in the kitchen. Doomed dalliance made me think of the myna bird my brother had as a child. We could never teach him to talk, but he got the household noises down. When he wanted morning company and no one was up he would start making the morning kitchen noises, the lazy Susan turning, the squeak in the floor by the sink, even the whistle of the tea kettle. I also love the image of the bunny scooting under the cat's legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the best stories, Sarah! I would have liked to have met that bird.

      Delete
  20. Love these creatures and the haiku they inspired. So glad I fell in to this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julieanne. I'm so glad you fell into this blog too! Feel free to drop by any time.

      Delete