Monday, August 5, 2013

Limerick Alley: Elizabeth Steinglass

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Denmark_St_1982.jpg

I've got whales on my mind.  They've been there for the last several weeks.  You can find me reading about whales, writing about whales, watching movies about whales, and generally immersing myself in all things whale.  Why?  I'm not really sure... it just feels right. 

So I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised when today's guest poet, Elizabeth Steinglass, without even an inkling of my latest obsession, blessed me with a whale in today's limerick.  Is it also coincidence that I recently witnessed a 5-inch (!) snail crossing the sidewalk in front of me?  I'll let you be the judge.
 
                     There once was a boy with a whale
                     Who traveled by sea on its tail.
                     Back home he decided
                     His choice was misguided.
                     He now sticks to land on a snail.

                     © 2013 Elizabeth Steinglass. All rights reserved.


I love the whimsy of this little ditty and thought some cute artwork might enhance its playfulness.  Not being an artist, myself, I asked my 10-year-old daughter if she would give it a go:

Artwork by Miranda Barnes, 2013

Don't they complement each other beautifully?
 
Thanks so much, Liz, for bringing such fun to Limerick Alley!

For those of you who don't regularly frequent Poetry Friday, please be sure to check out Liz's blog.  Her talents extend well beyond limericks, and I often find myself stunned by her descriptive imagery. 


If you would like to share a limerick on Today's Little Ditty in the future, please contact me at michelle (at) MichelleHBarnes (dot) com, or by commenting below.  I look forward to featuring you and your blog!





12 comments:

  1. Sounds like he's not in a hurry! Adorable illustration for Liz's limerick. Nice job all the way around :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're right, Tabatha-- seems to me he's on a happy-go-lucky road to nowhere! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow-both belong in a picture book, Liz, Miranda & Michelle! Fun to create a story in only five lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda... it is magical what a few good lines can inspire!

      Delete
  3. The limerick made me chuckle; the artwork gave me a belly-laugh. Nice job, Liz, Miranda and Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BJ-- so glad we could make you smile. :) Appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  4. This was a whale of a good time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whimsical and wonderful - both the poem and the artwork. I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a cute Limerick and reminds me of Snail and the Whale pb by Julia Donaldson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with that one... I'll have to go check it out!

      Delete