Thursday, July 4, 2013

Channeling Tim Burton...?


http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Denmark_St_1982.jpg



Return to Sender

A box marked, “Return me to Sender”
Arrived at the fireworks vendor.
Inside was a digit
Belonging to Bridget
With bills from the doctors to mend her.

© 2013 Michelle Heidenrich Barnes.  All rights reserved.



Hope everyone had a happy and safe 4th of July!

Do you have a limerick you would like to share in Limerick Alley?  Please contact me at michelle (at) MichelleHBarnes (dot) com, or by commenting below.  It will be my pleasure to feature you and your blog in a future post!

While some of us were soggy from yesterday's rain, Tabatha from The Opposite of Indifference was soggy from heat!  Here is her own rendition of yesterday's events, which I've decided to post here so that my limerick won't feel lonely.  (Thanks for joining in the limericky fun, Tabatha!)

          At Mount Vernon on the Fourth of July,
          we waited for lights in the sky--
          they took place at one
          in the heat of the sun,
          so no one watching was at all dry!

By golly, we've got a party here!  Mary Lee from A Year of Reading has joined in with her electrifying Independence Day limerick as well.  (Thanks, Mary Lee!)

          In my town on the Fourth of July,
          Lightning zig-zagged 'cross the sky.
          The crowd ooh-ed and ah-ed
          at the fireworks from God.
          KABOOM went his thunderous reply.

For more literary fireworks, head on over to Keri Recommends where Keri has today's Poetry Friday roundup.

16 comments:

  1. Ooohh.. a Halloween-ish approach to the Fourth. Very Funny. Thanks for sharing, and may you and all your fingers have a great July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and all my fingers thank you kindly for stopping by, Robyn. :) Hope you and yours have a great July too!

      Delete
  2. Made me actually lol, Michelle.

    At Mount Vernon on the Fourth of July,
    we waited for lights in the sky--
    they took place at one
    in the heat of the sun,
    so no one watching was at all dry!

    It was a sweaty day at George Washington's estate yesterday. I think I got enough sun to last me a while. Hope you are staying cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lol before 8 am on July 5th? SCORE!

      Thanks for the ditty, Tabatha! :) Sweaty for you, soggy for me... we decided to forgo the muddy field and watched the ones on TV instead.

      Delete
  3. Your limerick stopped me cold. Digit--Bridget, brilliant (but yucky)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stopped you cold, huh. I'm sure Tim Burton would have something to say about that particular phrase, but I'll refrain. I'm a nice person overall, but I do have my "yucky" moments! ;)

      Delete
  4. Ouch! I like the combination of silly and gruesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but wait till you see what I have in store for Halloween... heh heh heh.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's okay... luckily she's fictional. ;) Actually, my neighbor was setting off fireworks for the kids in our cul-de-sac yesterday. Despite my daughter's objections, I made certain she would not become the subject of a limerick sequel.

      Delete
  6. In my town on the Fourth of July,
    Lightning zig-zagged 'cross the sky.
    The crowd ooh-ed and ah-ed
    at the fireworks from God.
    KABOOM went his thunderous reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brava! Don't want to be messing with those firecrackers either!

      Delete
  7. Michelle,
    Have to share your limerick with my sons, when they get up! I love watching fireworks, but individual families aren't allowed to set them off in Colorado (it's too dry and there's a fire ban). I'm glad because I always used to spend the time worrying that one of my teenagers would do something stupid and lose a finger or an eye. I will try to write a limerick later and come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Carol. I know what you mean. Where I grew up, it was illegal as well. My heart was racing as I watched my neighbor set them off with the assistance of his 8 year old son! He may have felt confident, but I sure didn't.

      Delete
  8. My finger! LOL! Fabulous limerick, Michelle. Very Tim Burton-esque. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...er...sorry about the digit, Bridget. I know you already sacrifice so much in the name of art. ;) So glad you liked the poem!

      Delete