|"Imagine" by MeganAllen|
Poetry is the shadow
cast by our streetlight imaginations.
– Lawrence Ferlinghetti
|"Seasons" by SpecterCody|
|Carissa Rogers, Flickr Creative Commons|
UNDER MY BED
By Heidi Stemple
Under my bed
a party rocks
with dust bunnies and unmatched socks.
The guests line up
Two by two and heel to toe—
A stuffed brown bear
with a missing ear,
a mitten knit with
a red reindeer.
and a candy cane,
my sweater with the grape juice stain.
My favorite blanket
I thought I lost
and a sneaker that I must have tossed.
The book I was reading
but didn’t like
and the seat from my cousin’s ten-speed bike.
And, though my guests have had lots of fun,
it’s cleaning day—
this party’s done!
© Heidi Stemple, 2009
This poem is used with permission of the author and may not be further reprinted except with her expressed permission.
• Found in my deskI like this topic because it’s concrete, but students can choose something that suits their own lives and interests. There are other poems in FALLING DOWN THE PAGE that fit the “In This Place, You Will Find” theme, including “Lost and Finds” and “Walking Home from School I See” by Rebecca Kai Dotlich.
• Hiding under my bed
• In the refrigerator
• In my room
• My back yard or garage
• The craft drawer or the junk drawer
• A neighborhood walk
1. Choose a list poem topicI’m not teaching the list poem workshop until April, when I will be in residence at Northfield Elementary. Be sure to visit my arts education blog, Author Amok, where I’ll have student list poems from this lesson. As always, after running the list poem workshop with the Northfield third graders, I’ll have lots of ideas about how to improve this session!
2. Brainstorm items for my list
3. Decide on an order – save something important or surprising for last
4. Write a first draft
When Kristi first sent this in, I told her I needed to know how the story ends.
How thoughtful of her to send in this tanka sequel:
|"Spring" by Sera Photography|
If you're interested in entering to win, please let me know in the comments to this post, or reply to one of my messages about the giveaway on Facebook.The winner will be announced next week.