Monday, October 24, 2016

DMC: "Mother, Matriarchitect" by Michele Krueger




MOTHER, MATRIARCHITECT

her body

was my first home,

my life was built there

bone by bone



curling small

I swayed inside,

in her embrace 

I never cried



slowly growing

limb by limb,

finger, fibula,

eyebrow, chin



she crafted me

from flesh and blood,

an artist's finest

sculpting mud



in fertile loam

a seed was sown,

my life was built there

bone by bone



in that moist womb

I safely moored



until the cutting

of the cord

© 2010 Michele Krueger. All rights reserved.


Kenn Nesbitt has challenged us to write poems for our mothers this month. Click HERE for more details.

Post your poem on our October 2016 padlet. All contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration this Friday, October 28th, and one lucky participant will win an autographed copy of Kenn's delightful new anthology, forthcoming from Little, Brown Books for Young Readers on November 1, 2016:





13 comments:

  1. You sure know how to build a poem, Michele! This is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diane and Michelle. My mom sure knew how to build me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I especially like the bone by bone refrain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoyed your poignant poem as well, BJ.

      Delete
  5. Cleverly constructed, word by word. Brava, Michele! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really an interesting take on this month's challenge. Well done, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this line "an artist's finest sculpting mud
    in fertile loam" thank you for sharing 


    ReplyDelete