Thursday, October 3, 2013

Our Deepest Fear: Poetry in Action from Botlhale Boikanyo



I was lucky enough to have Lorie Ann Grover visit the Haiku Garden earlier this week.  Lorie Ann shared a wonderful haiku about gazing eye to eye with a raven she met on her travels, which you can read here.

Inspired by her visit, today's little ditty was going to show another side of the incredibly uncommon "Common Raven," but I've since changed my mind.  I don't know about you, but this week's news has left me feeling sideswiped-- depressed, angry, and more than a little bit perplexed about how our country has come to this.  Perhaps I will return to the raven another day; today I need an infusion of hope.

Enter Botlhale "the flame" Boikanyo, contestant and ultimate winner of South Africa's Got Talent 2012.  Some of you may have already seen her video which has made the rounds on social media.  For those of you who haven't, you're in for a treat.

From the moment this 11-year-old poet explodes onto the stage with a confidence only a child prodigy can own, she immediately wins over the hearts of everyone in the room.  She first performs an inspirational quote by spiritual teacher, author and lecturer, Marianne Williamson, from her book A Return to Love.  Afterwards, she is invited by one of the judges to perform one of her original poems.  With her own poem, not only does Botlhale speak for herself, but for her family, her community, her country, and, it seems, her entire generation.  Before long, we are convinced that we are witnessing a child destined for greatness.




And now that you're feeling better (I know I am!), please head over to Dori Reads, where Doraine has another uplifting post and today's Poetry Friday roundup.

18 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the way she travels back and forth between the two languages in her poem about home. There is no place...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! And I do feel better. We sure needed that this week -- a light, such hope! Thanks, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Dori. A friend from South Africa shared this clip with me. Isn't she amazing? You can feel the power of the words through this little one's voice and movements -- the transformative power of poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing young girl - I loved the joy and passion with which she performed. She had me crying, too. Thanks for sharing this withus today, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't seen this before. It made me cry - don't really know why...

    ReplyDelete
  6. *wiggle and shout with fingers and toes* YES!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was stunning! What a glorious future, indeed. I love how the judges were weeping! Her poem was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I had not seen this, Michelle. Thank you for sharing this special girl with such gifts! We'll hear from her again no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. With nothing but words and voice and motion she changes the world. Thanks for the lift, Bothale and Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an uplifting message, Michelle. My 11 year old daughter loved the video clip too. So beautiful! Thanks for making me smile today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Much, much, MUCH better.
    Thank you.
    **wipes tears**

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bothale has a lot of spark. :-)

    I wonder when are we going to have "Poetry Idol"?

    ReplyDelete
  13. (Ha! Poetry Idol - love that.)
    Thanks for sharing, Michelle - I was blown away when someone sent me this link earlier this year. Speaks to the power of poetry for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. whenever i watch her perform..my whole body shrinks and forms the goose bumps..that girl is talented beyond measure..in her i see someone with an amazingly great destiny!

    ReplyDelete
  15. she always makes me cry whenever she performs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Go places little girl. Mzansi need to glow and shine,
    Elevated by small brilliant packs like you. YOU SURELY ARE A DYNAMITE.I AM A POET MYSELF BUT SO INSPIRED BY YOU.LYDIA MARIHA-PHALOANE

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow I like every poem she writes ...she's my role model ...she inspires me to keep on writing poems

    ReplyDelete